Monday, November 22, 2010

Hum hymns in church

My landlady takes pleasure in letting me do things I've never done before. 'Don't you want to be a real English girl?' she's delighted to emphasise. And me being a toughy, that leaves me no other option than to follow her suggestions.

















This afernoon that meant croon in the evening service at the rural church of Elmsted. Not in the choir, but as a 'sing-along' with nine other churchgoers.

Imagine me in a gloomy rural area. So dark, that you picture yourself in a frightening fairy tale, where the trees appear to be living souls. It's a miracle I found my way to the church. But as you can see the lights dazzled as a warm welcome.

It was extremely cold in the house of God, so I was grateful I brought my gloves. Luckily I forgot about all that, the moment my neighbour burst into song. What a sound. The hymns rumbled out of his mouth like a thunder. I was so gratified that I could hum a little in his presence.

Afterwards I showed him my gratitude. He showed me the way out into the black night.
When I stepped out the door, I saw this moon, shining so bright.
Maybe it's a fantasy.

1 comment:

  1. I read your terrific (words by Henry) fantasy this morning. Your thesaurus must have come in handy. We felt comedy, excitement & reality!

    ReplyDelete